Currently, it is possible to cultivate plants without soil, in particular thanks to aquaponics. This is a technique combining the cultivation of plants above ground and the breeding of aquatic animals such as fish, shrimps or snails. Being a completely natural process, it can also be used as a decorative element for the house.
Although theaquaponics either appeared years ago, it remains little known because its realization requires a mastery of both aquaculture, or hydroponics and some soilless culture. However, this is a relatively uncomplicated process. It must be done in a residence in the presence of systems controlling the indoor climate. In addition, a tight can also be used. THE’adding fertilizer, watering plants and water change fish are no longer needed. Indeed, a symbiosis phenomenon is observed inside an aquaponics culture. On the one hand, the animal droppings, transformed by bacteria, will ensure the nutrition Plant. On the other hand, the plants will purify fish water. Can be adapted to the interior of the house, the cultivation of plants without soil can be set up in the living room as well as in the office.
Conduct of aquaponics
Note that a space of 2 to 3 m² is sufficient for a simple system. In order to have autonomy all year round, the minimum surface required is 40 m2.
the number of plants to introduce varied according to the number of aquatic animals in the system. In general, the culture of sept tons of plants need a ton of fish to ensure their growth.
As for the number of Pisces, he decides in depending on the size of the aquarium and the chosen system.
Species to choose from
The Pisces are chosen according to need. For breeding intended for food, the tilapia constitutes an adapted species. On the other hand, for a decorative aquaponics system, for indoor plants, choose fish with attractive colors is recommended. It is also possible toraise other aquatic species like the pink prawns and the crayfish. Note that most freshwater fish are adapted to the aquaponics system. However, when choosing, make sure that the qualities of the water suit the needs of the species chosen (temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, etc.). For example, the optimum temperature to guarantee the survival of tropical fish is between 20 ° C and 72 ° C with a pH that varies from 6 to 8.
Concerning choice of plants, from non-underground plants and to high growth rate like green vegetables, salads and fresh herbs are recommended to start the system. In contrast, a smature system can accommodate many plants including peppers, tomatoes, ginger, eggplants, carrots, potatoes, onions and many more. At a time practical and decorative, those plants can beautify the house. In addition, many aromatic herbs are suitable for aquaponics, especially the basil, the mint and the parsley. The selection of plants to put in the living room should be chosen with care.
Materials and tools to use
To create an aquaponics system, here are the tools to have on hand:
- a aquarium can hold a large volume of water;
- a culture tank of size proportional to that of the aquarium;
- A pump adapted to the volume of water;
- From pipes for water circulation between the different bins;
- a substrate : clay balls, moss, gravel or no substrate (to be chosen according to the tanks and the system adopted);
- From seeds or some young plants of herbs;
- a bell siphon constructed with PVC tube for root aeration and plant growth;
- a pvc tube four inches for the protection of the siphon.
Establishing the system requires at least a month. The fish are only integrated in spring or fall.
- For beginners, start with a simple system is recommended.
- The temperature principles and tsunshine should not be overlooked.
- In case of sickness, fish or plant treatments should be applied delicately for avoid contamination.
- The aquarium should be filled with a quality water characterized by a certain cleanliness, a optimal oxygen level, a suitable temperature and balanced nutrients.
The advantages of aquaponics
- THE’aquaponics is totally ecological and help air and environmental pollution control.
- This system does not does not require watering, of weeding nor contribution in fertilizer. In fact, all you need to do is feed the fish and the plants take care of the rest.
- The water needs are reduced compared to traditional agriculture.
- In a large system, the density of foods produced is relatively high compared to that of industrial agriculture.
- The growth rate plants is particularly high.
- Like the terrarium, aquaponics is a convenient way to decorate the house.
The following operations must be carried out to maintain an aquaponics system:
- Feed the fish and sanitize their living environment by using the culture tank as a filter in the aquarium.
- Make sure that the light is adapted to plants. Indeed, some species such as tomatoes and peppers require the installation of artificial lighting.
Opening visual: Decorative aquaculture for modern and non-polluting urban agriculture – Kinto on The Cool Républic